Piru Dam Santa Felicia

Piru Dam Santa Felicia

The Santa Felicia Dam spillway bridge was first constructed in 1956.  It is the main corridor to access the Dam. The 122 foot long post-tension concrete beams used were the longest in the world at the time.  Years later, firmer seismic codes required repair work on the bridge.

The United Water Conservation District contracted Cushman to perform the much needed repairs to meet current seismic codes.  The repair work consisted of replacing the roller bearing on the west bridge pier with Teflon coated sliding plates. This required jacking the 170-ton center span.  In addition, Cushman widened the bridge girder platforms to reduce structural seismic failure.